cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refresh a External table metadata

Dp15
Contributor

Hi,

I have an external table which is created out of a S3 bucket. The first time I am creating the table I am using the following command :

query = """CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS catalog.schema.external_table_s3
           USING PARQUET
           LOCATION '{}'""".format(bucket_location)

The first time the table is created the files in the 'bucket_location' are loaded into the table. Now, I have a use case where when new files are added in the S3, I would like the metadata of this external table to be refreshed. Is it possible to refresh the metadata of the external table? I tried using the MSCK Repair command 

MSCK REPAIR TABLE catalog.schema.external_table_s3

but my command failed with the following error:

AnalysisException: [UC_COMMAND_NOT_SUPPORTED.WITHOUT_RECOMMENDATION] The command(s): Repair Table are not supported in Unity Catalog. ;
RepairTableCommand catalog.schema.external_table_s3, true, false, MSCK REPAIR TABLE

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
3 REPLIES 3

Dp15
Contributor

Hi @Kaniz thank you for reply, how can we handle the schema changes in the external location, what if there are additions or deletions on the schema, will the refresh table work then too? 

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.