Community nickname: @Daniel Sahal​ 

Pronouns:  He/Him

Company: Elitmind, Warsaw, Poland

Job Title: Senior Data Platform Consultant

Databricks Certifications

Databricks Certified Data Engineer Associate

Academy Accreditation – Platform Administrator

Academy Accreditation – Databricks Lakehouse Fundamentals

Could you give a brief description of your professional journey to date? 

In 2016, while pursuing my BSc degree at Warsaw School of Computer Science, I kickstarted my professional career. I landed an opportunity with a travel industry company where I contributed significantly to the delivery of reports for global clients, implemented ETL solutions, and worked as a full-stack web developer.

After almost four years, I redirected my focus towards a 100% data engineering role. This led me to work as a BI Engineer with another company where I honed my skills in developing and maintaining data solutions on both on-premises and cloud platforms.

Currently, as a Senior Data Platform Consultant at Elitmind, I continue to pursue my professional career by delivering modern data platform solutions using Azure Cloud Stack for companies across the globe. My primary focus at the moment is on the Databricks Data Lakehouse Platform.

Over the course of my career, I have amassed extensive experience in data engineering, ETL/ELT, cloud migration, and maintenance. My passion lies in exploring the latest advancements in data engineering and leveraging them to provide innovative solutions to my clients.

What is your favorite thing about your current job/role? 

In my role as a consultant, I have the privilege of working on diverse projects for various clients, which keeps things engaging and exciting. What's more, my responsibilities extend beyond just data engineering as I also handle (or learn how to handle) other aspects such as infrastructure, security, and DevOps. By combining these roles, I gain a more comprehensive understanding of the entire Data Platform.

I enjoy working alongside experts who possess a "Hold my beer, I've got this" attitude and are always ready to tackle new challenges. Their expertise and enthusiasm inspire me to push my limits and learn more every day.

What are three words your coworkers would use to describe you?

I’m not really sure how my coworkers would describe me, but pivoting the question I would describe myself as a fast-learner, innovative with a can-do attitude.

When and why did you start using Databricks? 

Midway through last year, I began working on a few projects that relied on Databricks as their primary data platform solution. This prompted me to start using Databricks and gain experience with its functionalities.

Do you have a favorite Databricks feature? Something that makes your life a lot easier? Or more interesting? 

At present, Autoloader and Workflows are two of my preferred Databricks features. Autoloader streamlines data architecture by facilitating incremental loads, while Workflows allow us to consolidate our ecosystem by utilizing a single tool for both ELT and orchestration.

Is there a Databricks feature you want to see in the future?

It is my hope that Databricks Workflows will evolve into a more sophisticated orchestration solution like Apache Airflow, with advanced features such as orchestrator-as-code and for-each loops, among others, that can further enhance its capabilities. Moreover, the out-of-the-box replication feature could serve as a useful disaster recovery option.

When and why did you start using Databricks Community?

A colleague introduced me to Databricks Community, and since then, I have found it to be a great place to develop my skills by helping fellow developers.

What’s your favorite thing about being in the Databricks Community? 

Being part of the Databricks Community is a pleasure for me because it is home to a diverse group of experienced professionals in the field of data engineering. By helping others, I feel a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment. Additionally, it provides me with an avenue to improve my skills by delving into other people's challenges and delving deeper into the intricacies of Databricks.

Pivoting a little: What’s your favorite hobby?

During my leisure time, I enjoy spending quality time with my family and exploring my interest in mechanics. I derive pleasure from engaging in hands-on tasks such as repairing my car, which I find to be a relaxing and therapeutic experience.

Where do you see yourself in 3 years?  

I aspire to become a consultant who can oversee end-to-end projects, encompassing not only data engineering but also architecture, infrastructure, and advanced data platforms. However, given the pace of technological advancements and the rapidly changing world, it is difficult to predict the future. Who knows what opportunities and challenges may arise in the coming years?

Social Media Handles

Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/dsahal/

Thank you for sharing insights into your personal and professional journey, and for allowing us to learn from your greatness @Daniel Sahal​ 😊

Feel free to leave your questions for Daniel in the comments section below! 🚀

8 Comments