Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Databricks Academy LMS - shortcomings

al_joe
Contributor

I am using Databricks Academy extensively and see a few shortcomings in the (new) LMS -- Feedback:

- Videos do not have captions/transcript to make them accessible to all audience including non-native English speakers.

- "FullScreen" icon does not work -- no way to increase the size of the video

- Playback 'speed control' is buggy. In one of my sessions clicking on anything other than 1x would momentarily play video at the chose speed but immediately switch back to 1x (Chrome on Win10)

- In general the LMS organization is messy (too many learning paths and foundations and essentials and core -- repeating a lot of content)

- In general LMS (Docebo?) self-paced content does not make good use of screen real estate. Lot of wasted space and padding, too many clicks and lot of scrolling needed from users to consume content making it tiresome

If there are ways we can make the UI of LMS work better for us based on our preferences, please advise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

User16847923431
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi @al_joe! My name is Astrid, and I’m on the curriculum team here at Databricks. I was able to review your original post in this thread and wanted to update you on some of the input and questions you provided: 

1. Videos do not have captions/transcript to make them accessible to all audiences including non-native English speakers.
  2. We completely understand that this is important to the Databricks Community and as we continue to improve our training offerings, this is a priority for us. Thank you for being an advocate of accessibility! 

2.  "FullScreen" icon does not work -- no way to increase the size of the video

1. Could you please let me know in a new comment (reply below) which course you are referring to? There is a way to make videos larger in the LMS as long as they are configured correctly, so it’s most likely a setting on our end. 

3. Playback 'speed control' is buggy. In one of my sessions clicking on anything other than 1x would momentarily play video at the chose speed but immediately switch back to 1x (Chrome on Win10)

1. Hmm - can you please let me know if this is an ongoing issue for you? I’ll also keep my eye on if we get other reports of this happening. In any case, thanks for letting me know.

4.  In general the LMS organization is messy (too many learning paths and foundations and essentials and core -- repeating a lot of content)

1. Our apologies - this certainly isn’t the experience we want you to have. Our intention behind the way we organized our content was to provide multiple ways of finding it. We recently reordered and renamed the catalogs, so hopefully this is better.

5. In general LMS (Docebo?) self-paced content does not make good use of screen real estate. Lot of wasted space and padding, too many clicks and lot of scrolling needed from users to consume content making it tiresome

1. Noted! Thanks for your valuable and candid feedback - reports like this will only help us continue to make Databricks Academy, and Databricks as a whole, even better. 

Please let me know if you need anything else and thanks again! 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

al_joe
Contributor

One more -- you cannot select video quality (no option to select SD/HD or 480p/720p/1080p). The clarity of text shown inside the video demos is less than ideal.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Al Jo​ Thank you so much for providing this thoughtful and detailed overview - input like this only makes Databricks better! I appreciate your candor AND I wanted to pop by and let you know that our Curriculum Director has been sent your feedback, and has reviewed it!

Hang tight and we'll see if they can drop a reply addressing some of your concerns!

User16847923431
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi @al_joe! My name is Astrid, and I’m on the curriculum team here at Databricks. I was able to review your original post in this thread and wanted to update you on some of the input and questions you provided: 

1. Videos do not have captions/transcript to make them accessible to all audiences including non-native English speakers.
  2. We completely understand that this is important to the Databricks Community and as we continue to improve our training offerings, this is a priority for us. Thank you for being an advocate of accessibility! 

2.  "FullScreen" icon does not work -- no way to increase the size of the video

1. Could you please let me know in a new comment (reply below) which course you are referring to? There is a way to make videos larger in the LMS as long as they are configured correctly, so it’s most likely a setting on our end. 

3. Playback 'speed control' is buggy. In one of my sessions clicking on anything other than 1x would momentarily play video at the chose speed but immediately switch back to 1x (Chrome on Win10)

1. Hmm - can you please let me know if this is an ongoing issue for you? I’ll also keep my eye on if we get other reports of this happening. In any case, thanks for letting me know.

4.  In general the LMS organization is messy (too many learning paths and foundations and essentials and core -- repeating a lot of content)

1. Our apologies - this certainly isn’t the experience we want you to have. Our intention behind the way we organized our content was to provide multiple ways of finding it. We recently reordered and renamed the catalogs, so hopefully this is better.

5. In general LMS (Docebo?) self-paced content does not make good use of screen real estate. Lot of wasted space and padding, too many clicks and lot of scrolling needed from users to consume content making it tiresome

1. Noted! Thanks for your valuable and candid feedback - reports like this will only help us continue to make Databricks Academy, and Databricks as a whole, even better. 

Please let me know if you need anything else and thanks again! 

I'm having the same problems, especially the full screen doesn't work and here is an example

https://customer-academy.databricks.com/learn/course/73/play/1664:278/aws-databricks-workspace-deplo...

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.