cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get past Query Data tutorial for Azure Databricks

philipkd
New Contributor III

I created a new workspace on Azure Databricks, and I can't get past this first step in the tutorial:

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS diamonds;

CREATE TABLE diamonds USING CSV OPTIONS (path "/databricks-datasets/Rdatasets/data-001/csv/ggplot2/diamonds.csv", header "true")

error:

UnityCatalogServiceException: [RequestId=1a282f93-a134-4639-ac88-65798d67c924 ErrorClass=INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE] GenerateTemporaryPathCredential uri /databricks-datasets/Rdatasets/data-001/csv/ggplot2/diamonds.csv is not a valid URI. Error message: INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE: Missing cloud file system scheme.

adding dbfs: didn't fix my issue, as suggested here. instead I got:

AnalysisException: [UC_FILE_SCHEME_FOR_TABLE_CREATION_NOT_SUPPORTED] Creating table in Unity Catalog with file scheme dbfs is not supported. Instead, please create a federated data source connection using the CREATE CONNECTION command for the same table provider, then create a catalog based on the connection with a CREATE FOREIGN CATALOG command to reference the tables therein.

I also browsed the file system (with ls commands) and saw the file there.

Note: I got this working properly on AWS Databricks

1 REPLY 1

dollyb
Contributor

Struggling with this as well. So using dbfs:/ with CREATE TABLE statement works on AWS, but not Azure?

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group