cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Governance
Join discussions on data governance practices, compliance, and security within the Databricks Community. Exchange strategies and insights to ensure data integrity and regulatory compliance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't create a new metastore. Error "This region already contains a metastore"

ashu_sama
New Contributor III

I can't create a metastore. Getting an error "This region already contains a metastore. Only a single metastore per region is allowed." But that was my first time creating it. 

Afterwards I have checked if it was region specific... but that was also not the case.

Screenshot 2023-11-07 205445.pngScreenshot 2023-11-08 075253.png

5 REPLIES 5

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ashu_sama , The error message "This region already contains a metastore. Only a single metastore per region is allowed." indicates that a metastore already exists in the region where you are attempting to create a new one. This can happen if you or a colleague have already created a metastore in the same region and using the same workspace.

To resolve this issue, you can either use an existing metastore or delete the existing metastore before creating a new one.

Hi @Kaniz_Fatma , I am on a trial subscription and using it for learning purposes. I am the only user(admin). This error was encountered at the time of creation of metastore for the first time. After that I deleted the metastore and all the resources related to check if it was region specific but that too didn't work.

karthik_p
Esteemed Contributor

@ashu_sama to benefit all features of UC, you need to be on premium subscription

ashu_sama
New Contributor III

@karthik_p , As per my knowledge, the Databricks Workspace needs to be on premium plan which can be created in 'Trial Subscription' of azure as well. I can create a cluster to support Unity Catalog too. Please correct me if I have understood it wrong.

ashu_sama
New Contributor III

RESOLVED:- 

Open Databricks Workspace-->Admin Setting-->Workspace Settings--> Scroll to Storage --> Click on Purge for 'Permanently purge workspace storage' & 'Permanently purge all revision history'.

FYI: It may work by just purging the workspace storage.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group