cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Governance
Join discussions on data governance practices, compliance, and security within the Databricks Community. Exchange strategies and insights to ensure data integrity and regulatory compliance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity Catalog - Error getting sample data in data explorer

Daithi
New Contributor II

I get an error message saying I Error getting sample data, when I try to view sample data from a table in a schema I created in a Unity Catalog. I dropped the schema and table and got a collague to recreate and still the same message. We are both Unity Catlog Admins and he is not recieving this error and can see the sample data. Even when we drop and recreate in his name its the same issues...............I can see the data if I actual query it within the sql section. I believe it may be a permissions issue.........but it appears that we have identical permissions. Any help would be greatful.

I have added a screen shot of the error

image.png

14 REPLIES 14

YSF
New Contributor III

I'm also getting this error for catalogs/schemas/tables I create. I get this when I click sample data. But I am able to otherwise query it from a notebook using SQL

abhaigh
New Contributor III

Use a version 13.3 cluster - 11.3 isn't Unity-Catalog-aware

-=A=-

karthik_p
Esteemed Contributor

@Daithi can you please see if you have all previlage on catalog, look catalog/ table level permission, you can check under permissions tab on each level and update please

Krishnamatta
New Contributor III

Cluster Access mode should be Shared/Single user or use SQL warehouse as your cluster

aboer
New Contributor III

I have the same problem, unfortunately. I have all privileges on the schema & catalog and the cluster is a shared one with runtime version 14.3. Any solutions how to solve this?

Karlo_Kotarac
New Contributor III

I had a similar issue recently. The problem was that the cluster used was not UC-compatible. Can you check if you can see this under cluster details? 

Karlo_Kotarac_0-1719222164047.png

If not use another cluster that is UC-compatibile.

aboer
New Contributor III

Thanks for this hint, but Unity Catalog is enabled already...

aboer_0-1719222581880.png

jacovangelder
Honored Contributor

Is it the exact same error as in the starting post? Do you have SELECT permissions on at least the table and USE CATALOG permissions on the catalog? The only reason why you won't be able to see sample data is either a wrong cluster (ruled that one out) or a permissions mismatch on catalog and/or object (schema/table) level.

aboer
New Contributor III

I got it now. I needed to select a serverless cluster in the top left corner of the unity catalog. Without this being chosen the sample data cannot be shown.

aboer_0-1719388170130.png

jacovangelder
Honored Contributor

It should also work with a Shared Access Mode cluster. 

rakiuday
New Contributor II

Thanks @aboer this works for me now after choosing the respective catalog under catalog section.

emmalily
New Contributor II

It sounds like a permissions issue. Even though both of you are Unity Catalog Admins, there might be some hidden discrepancies. Since you can query the data but can't view sample data, it could be a UI bug. Double-check the permissions at the schema and table levels, and if the issue persists, reach out to Unity Catalog support. Hopefully, they'll resolve it quickly!

billieo
New Contributor II

great conversation,

michalama
New Contributor II

The cluster access mode can be set to either Shared or Single User, depending on your needs, or you can opt to use an SQL Warehouse for cluster management.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group