cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get Started Discussions
Start your journey with Databricks by joining discussions on getting started guides, tutorials, and introductory topics. Connect with beginners and experts alike to kickstart your Databricks experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How list all USERs FROM a especific GROUP USING SQL?

Sardenberg
New Contributor II

I want to list, using sql editor, all users name from a specific group.
Reading documentation, I only learned how to show the groups or the users, using simples filters, like:

SHOW GROUPS LIKE '*XPTO*';
SHOW GROUPS WITH USER `test@gmail.com`
SHOW USERS LIKE '*gus*'

I would like to create something like:
select users_name from USERS where group_name = "XPTO_GROUP";
or
SHOW USERS WHERE GROUP "xpto_group";

3 REPLIES 3

This solution seems to have been answered by an AI.
I need to know how create a SELECT for create this tables: USERS, GROUPS and GROUP_USERS.

arch_db
New Contributor II

@Sardenberg wrote:

This solution seems to have been answered by an AI.
I need to know how create a SELECT for create this tables: USERS, GROUPS and GROUP_USERS.

# Databricks notebook source
from pyspark.sql.functions import lit

# COMMAND ----------

df_groups = spark.sql("""SHOW GROUPS""")

# COMMAND ----------

df_users = spark.sql("""SHOW USERS""")

# COMMAND ----------

result = spark.createDataFrame([], "name: string, directGroup: boolean, user: string")
for user in df_users.collect():
    df_user_groups = spark.sql(f"""SHOW GROUPS WITH USER `{user.name}`""").withColumn("user", lit(user.name))
    result = result.unionAll(df_user_groups)

# COMMAND ----------

display(result) # Here you can create temp view and select data

It will work fine if groups added to workspace.

Robin63
New Contributor II

I don't think it's possible yet. Unfortunately, I look in all system tables and command and didn't found this kind of things.

But with a Python notebook, like what did the AI, you can reconstruct it:

first you list all the users with

SHOW USERS

then you loop for all users to get its groups with:

SHOW GROUPS WITH USER `{user.name}`

And you can reconstruct the list of users in each groups like that, and put it in a delta table with a create table.

With this table you can easily list all users in a specific group in a SQL request. You "just" need to run your python notebook regularly to update your user-group table.

Due to the special type of command that this is, you can't (to my knowledge) do that kind of thing directly in SQL, (can't "SELECT * FROM SHOW ..." for example), and there is no specific command for that, so it's a little laborious, especially if you have a lot of users and groups.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group