cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SHOW GROUPS is not giving groups available at the account level

Ramana
Contributor

I am trying to capture all the Databricks groups and their mapping to user/ad group(s).

I tried to do this by using show groups, show users, and show grants by following the examples mentioned in the below article but the show groups command only fetches groups at the workspace level but not at the account level.

Per my understanding, databricks recommends keeping the users and groups at the account level and using them at the workspace level.

Link: https://datamadness.medium.com/pyspark-get-user-table-permissions-in-databricks-edcfb42bdea

The requirement is to capture all the Databricks groups we create and their mapping (members/groups).

For example, if I create a Databricks group named role_test_1 and map it to an AD Group named ad_test_1 and an AD User named ad_user_1@domain.com then I would like to fetch the complete Databriks group-AD group-AD member relationship.

Is there a way to read all the Databricks groups available at the account level?

Thanks

Ramana

3 REPLIES 3

SSundaram
Contributor

@Ramana , You should be using the account level REST API.

https://docs.databricks.com/api/azure/account/accountgroups/list

WWoman
New Contributor III

I tested this and I am just seeing the groups with the API that I see with SHOW GROUPS. It is not showing all the groups that I see from the account console.

Ramana
Contributor

Yes, I can use the Rest API but I am looking for a SQL or Programming way to do this rather than doing the API calls and building the Comex Datatype Dataframe and then saving it as a Table.

Thanks

Ramana

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group