Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Governance
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity catalog; how to remove tags completely?

Synasenn
New Contributor II

Hi,

We are rolling out Unity in our organization and while playing around I had set some tags on a test catalog.
After removing this catalog, the tag keys I used are still present in our Unity environment and I am unable to find where they are stored to delete them.

- There are no catalogs that use these tags
- No tags are present in any of the tables in  system.information_schema

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Right now I am stuck with these;

Synasenn_0-1712216775874.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Walter_C
Valued Contributor II
Valued Contributor II

Hello many thanks for the question, if the tags were not removed before removing the catalog, this data will be retained in the metadata for 30 days, this is part of the retention policy, once this 30 days pass you should no longer see the tags as option.

As suggestion you should remove this tags before dropping the catalog.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Walter_C
Valued Contributor II
Valued Contributor II

Hello many thanks for the question, if the tags were not removed before removing the catalog, this data will be retained in the metadata for 30 days, this is part of the retention policy, once this 30 days pass you should no longer see the tags as option.

As suggestion you should remove this tags before dropping the catalog.

Synasenn
New Contributor II

Thanks! I will take that to heart and include it on our internal wiki

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.