Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Posts

User16869510359
by Esteemed Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

Resolved! Delta Streaming and Optimize

I have a master delta table that is continuously getting written by a streaming job. I have optimize writes enabled and in addition, I run the OPTIMIZE command every 3 hours. However, I think the downstream streaming jobs which are streaming the data...

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • 0 kudos

This is working as expected. For Delta streaming, the data files created in the first place will be used for streaming. The optimized files are not considered the downstream streaming job. This is the reason it's not recommended to run VACUUM with f...

• 0 kudos
User16826990884
by New Contributor III
  • 1 replies
  • 1 kudos

Impact on Databricks objects after a user is deleted

What happens to resources (notebooks, jobs, clusters etc.) owned by a user when a user is deleted? The underlying problem we are trying to solve is that we want to automatically delete users through SCIM when the user leaves the company so that the u...

• 1 replies
  • 1 kudos
Latest Reply
sajith_appukutt
Honored Contributor II
  • 1 kudos

When you remove a user from Databricks, a special backup folder is created in the workspace. This backup folder contains all of the deleted user’s content.W.r.t clusters/jobs, an admin can grant permission to other users.

• 1 kudos
User16869510359
by Esteemed Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 1 kudos

Resolved! How to run commands on the executor

Using %sh, I am able to run commands on the notebook and get output. How can i run a command on the executor and get the output. I want to avoid using the Spark API's

• 1 replies
  • 1 kudos
Latest Reply
User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • 1 kudos

It's not possible to use %sh to run commands on the executor. The below code can be used to run commands on the executor and get the outputvar res=sc.runOnEachExecutor[String]({ () => import sys.process._ var cmd_Result=Seq("bash", "-c", "h...

• 1 kudos
User16826990884
by New Contributor III
  • 1 replies
  • 1 kudos

Resolved! Views vs Materialized Delta Tables

Is there general guidance around using views vs creating Delta tables? For example, I need to do some filtering and make small tweaks to a few columns for use in another application. Is there a downside of using a view here?

• 1 replies
  • 1 kudos
Latest Reply
User16826990884
New Contributor III
  • 1 kudos

Views won't duplicate the data so if you are just filtering columns or rows or making small tweaks then views might be a good option. Unless, of course, the filtering is really expensive or you are doing a lot of calculations, then materialize the vi...

• 1 kudos
Srikanth_Gupta_
by Valued Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 1 kudos
  • 1 replies
  • 1 kudos
Latest Reply
sajith_appukutt
Honored Contributor II
  • 1 kudos

All three options are secure ways to store secrets. Databricks secrets has the additional functionality of redaction , so it is convenient sometimes. Also in azure, you have the ability to use azure KV as the backend for secrets.

• 1 kudos
User16869510359
by Esteemed Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 1 kudos

Resolved! Classpath issues when running spark-submit

How to identify the jars used to load a particular class. I am sure I packed the classes correctly in my application jar. However, looks like the class is loaded from a different jar. I want to understand the details so that I can ensure to use the r...

• 1 replies
  • 1 kudos
Latest Reply
User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • 1 kudos

Adding the below configurations at the cluster level can help to print more logs to identify the jars from which the class is loaded. spark.executor.extraJavaOptions=-verbose:class spark.driver.extraJavaOptions=-verbose:class

• 1 kudos
User16869510359
by Esteemed Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

Resolved! Cannot upload libraries on UI

When trying to upload libraries on UI it fails.

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • 0 kudos

One corner case scenario where we can hit this issue is if there is /<shard name>/0/Filestore/jars file in the root bucket of the workspace. Once you remove the file, the upload should work fine.

• 0 kudos
User16783853906
by Contributor III
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos

Resolved! Frequent spot loss of driver nodes resulting in failed jobs when using spot fleet pools

When using spot fleet pools to schedule jobs, driver and worker nodes are provisioned from the spot pools and we are noticing jobs failing with the below exception when there is a driver spot loss. Share best practices around using fleet pools with 1...

• 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
User16783853906
Contributor III
  • 0 kudos

In this scenario, the driver node is reclaimed by AWS. Databricks started preview of hybrid pools feature which would allow you to provision driver node from a different pool. We recommend using on-demand pool for driver node to improve reliability i...

• 0 kudos
2 More Replies
User16869510359
by Esteemed Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 1 kudos

Resolved! Databricks Vs Yarn - Resource Utilization

I have a spark-submit application that worked fine with 8GB executor memory in yarn. I am testing the same job against the Databricks cluster with the same executor memory. However, the jobs are running slower in Databricks. 

• 1 replies
  • 1 kudos
Latest Reply
User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • 1 kudos

This is not an Apple to Apple comparison. When you set 8GB as the executor memory in Yarn, then the container that is launched to run the executor JVM is getting 8GB of memory. Accordingly, the Xmx value of the heap is calculated. In Databricks, when...

• 1 kudos
Anonymous
by Not applicable
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
sajith_appukutt
Honored Contributor II
  • 0 kudos

You can disable download button for notebook results which exports results as csv from admin console - > workspace settings -> advanced section

• 0 kudos
1 More Replies
Srikanth_Gupta_
by Valued Contributor
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
User16783853906
Contributor III
  • 0 kudos

When a cluster is attached to a pool, cluster nodes are created using the the pool’s idle instances which help to reduce cluster start and auto-scaling times .If you are using pools and looking to reduce start time for all scenarios, then you should ...

• 0 kudos
1 More Replies
Anonymous
by Not applicable
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
sajith_appukutt
Honored Contributor II
  • 0 kudos

If you are looking for incrementally loading data from Azure SQL, checkout one of our technology partners that support change-data-capture or setup debezium for sql-server. These solutions could land data in a streaming fashion to kafka/kinesis/even...

• 0 kudos
1 More Replies
User16869510359
by Esteemed Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

Resolved! Can I use OSS Spark History Server to view the EventLogs

Is it possible to run the OSS SPark history server and view the spark event logs.

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • 0 kudos

Yes, it's possible. The OSS Spark history server can read the Spark event logs generated on a Databricks cluster. Using Cluster log delivery, the SPark logs can be written to any arbitrary location. Event logs can be copied from there to the storage ...

• 0 kudos
User16826990884
by New Contributor III
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos

Encrypt root S3 bucket

This is a 2-part question:How do I go about encrypting an existing root S3 bucket?Will this impact my Databricks environment? (Resources not being accessible, performance issues etc.)

• 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
User16869510359
by Esteemed Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

Resolved! Jobs running forever in Spark UI

On the Spark UI, Jobs are running forever. But my notebook already completed the operations. Why the resources are wasted

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • 0 kudos

This happens if the Spark driver is missing events. The jobs/task are not running. The Spark UI is reporting incorrect stats. This can be treated as a harmless UI issue. If you continue to see the issue consistently, then it might be good to review w...

• 0 kudos
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors