Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Posts

aladda
by Honored Contributor II
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

Resolved! I read that Delta supports concurrent writes to separate partitions of the table but I'm getting an error when doing so

I’m running 3 separate dbt processes in parallel. all of them are reading data from different databrick databases, creating different staging tables by using dbt alias, but they all at the end update/insert to the same target table. the 3 processes r...

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
aladda
Honored Contributor II
  • 0 kudos

You’re likely running into the issue described here and a solution to it as well. While Delta does support concurrent writers to separate partitions of a table, depending on your query structure join/filter/where in particular, there may still be a n...

• 0 kudos
aladda
  • 1 replies
  • 1 kudos
  • 1 replies
  • 1 kudos
Latest Reply
aladda
Honored Contributor II
  • 1 kudos

The Databricks Add-on for Splunk built as part of Databricks Labs can be leveraged for Splunk integrationIt’s a bi-directional framework that allows for in-place querying of data in databricks from within Splunk by running queries, notebooks or jobs ...

• 1 kudos
Anonymous
by Not applicable
  • 1 replies
  • 1 kudos

Resolved! Jobs - Delta Live tables difference

Can you please explain the difference between Jobs and Delta Live tables?

• 1 replies
  • 1 kudos
Latest Reply
aladda
Honored Contributor II
  • 1 kudos

Jobs are designed for automated execution (scheduled or manually) of Databricks Notebooks, JARs, spark-submit jobs etc. Its essentially a generic framework to run any kind of Data Engg, Data Analysis or Data Science workload. Delta Live Tables on the...

• 1 kudos
Anonymous
by Not applicable
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

Resolved! Tuning shuffle partitions

Is the best practice for tuning shuffle partitions to have the config "autoOptimizeShuffle.enabled" on? I see it is not switched on by default. Why is that?

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
sajith_appukutt
Honored Contributor II
  • 0 kudos

AQE (enabled by default from 7.3 LTS + onwards) adjusts the shuffle partition number automatically at each stage of the query, based on the size of the map-side shuffle output. So as data size grows or shrinks over different stages, the task size wi...

• 0 kudos
aladda
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
aladda
Honored Contributor II
  • 0 kudos

Notebooks in Databricks are part of the WebApp which is run & managed by databricks from the Control Plane. See the high level architecture here for details - https://docs.databricks.com/getting-started/overview.html

• 0 kudos
User16776431030
by New Contributor III
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

Resolved! How can I make a cluster start up in the availability-zone (AZ) with the most available IPs?

I see the default in the UI is to always create clusters in a single AZ (e.g. us-west-2a), but want to distribute workloads across all available AZs.

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
User16776431030
New Contributor III
  • 0 kudos

Found the answer - not available in the UI, but via API, you can submit the cluster definition with "aws_attributes": { "zone_id": "auto" },This is documented in the Cluster API: https://docs.databricks.com/dev-tools/api/latest/clusters.html#aw...

• 0 kudos
User16137833804
by New Contributor III
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
aladda
Honored Contributor II
  • 0 kudos

There is a native Cost Management Connector in Power BI that allows one to make powerful, customized visualization and cost/usage reports. I also recommend reviewing the Chargeback/Cost Analysis section of the ADB Best Practices guide here - https://...

• 0 kudos
1 More Replies
Ryan_Chynoweth
by Honored Contributor III
  • 1 replies
  • 1 kudos
  • 1 replies
  • 1 kudos
Latest Reply
Ryan_Chynoweth
Honored Contributor III
  • 1 kudos

Yes, Azure Data Factory can execute code on Azure Databricks. The best way to return values from the notebook to Data factory is to use the dbutils.notebook.exit() function at the end of your notebook or whenever you want to terminate execution.

• 1 kudos
Anonymous
by Not applicable
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
Ryan_Chynoweth
Honored Contributor III
  • 0 kudos

The key benefits of High Concurrency clusters are that they provide fine-grained sharing for maximum resource utilization and minimum query latencies.Note that a Standard cluster is recommended for a single user. Standard clusters can run workloads d...

• 0 kudos
University_RobR
by New Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

What Databricks resources are available for university faculty members?

I would like to use Databricks to teach large-scale analytics in my classroom; does Databricks have any resources or community assets that can help me out?

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
Ryan_Chynoweth
Honored Contributor III
  • 0 kudos

For folks that are looking to leverage Databricks as a teaching asset, please sign contact us for Databricks University Alliance. https://databricks.com/p/teach

• 0 kudos
University_RobR
by New Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

What Databricks resources are available for university students?

I want to learn how to use Databricks for my courses at university, and maybe to get a Databricks Certification. Can you help me out?

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
Ryan_Chynoweth
Honored Contributor III
  • 0 kudos

We have a ton of great resources available for people who are wanting to learn Databricks, specifically for university students. Checkout our our university page, to learn more about Databricks Community Edition, Free workshops, and self-paced course...

• 0 kudos
User16826994223
by Honored Contributor III
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

Efficient data retrieval process between Azure Blob storage and Azure databricks

I am trying to design a stream a data analytics project using functions --> event hub --> storage --> Azure factory --> databricks --> SQL server.What I am strugging with at the moment is the idea about how to optimize "data retrieval" to feed m...

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
Ryan_Chynoweth
Honored Contributor III
  • 0 kudos

Check out our auto loader capabilities that can automatically track and process files that need to be processed. AutoloaderThere are two options: directory listing, which is essentially completing the same steps that you have listed above but in a sl...

• 0 kudos
User16826992666
by Valued Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

Resolved! Can you implement fine grained access controls on Delta tables?

I would like to provide row and column level security on my tables I have created in my workspace. Is there any way to do this?

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
Ryan_Chynoweth
Honored Contributor III
  • 0 kudos

Databricks includes two user functions that allow you to express column- and row-level permissions dynamically in the body of a view definition.current_user(): return the current user name.is_member(): determine if the current user is a member of a s...

• 0 kudos
User16826987838
by Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 1 kudos
  • 1 replies
  • 1 kudos
Latest Reply
Mooune_DBU
Valued Contributor
  • 1 kudos

With Koalas, which is a Pandas'API on top of Spark Dataframes, there should be minimal code changes required.Please refer to this blog for more info

• 1 kudos
User16765131552
by Contributor III
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

Read excel files and append to make one data frame in Databricks from azure data lake without specific file names

I am storing excel files in Azure data lake (gen 1). They follow filenames follow the same pattern "2021-06-18T09_00_07ONR_Usage_Dataset", "2021-06-18T09_00_07DSS_Usage_Dataset", etc. depending on the date and time. I want to read all the files in th...

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
Ryan_Chynoweth
Honored Contributor III
  • 0 kudos

If you are attempting to read all the files in a directory you should be able to use a wild card and filter using the extension. For example: df = (spark .read .format("com.crealytics.spark.excel") .option("header", "True") .option("inferSchema", "tr...

• 0 kudos
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors