Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Posts

User16869510359
by Esteemed Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

Resolved! How do I change the log level in Databricks?

How can I change the log level of the Spark Driver and executor process?

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • 0 kudos

Change the log level of Driver:%scala   spark.sparkContext.setLogLevel("DEBUG")   spark.sparkContext.setLogLevel("INFO")Change the log level of a particular package in Driver logs:%scala   org.apache.log4j.Logger.getLogger("shaded.databricks.v201809...

• 0 kudos
User16869510359
by Esteemed Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

Resolved! I do not have any Spark jobs running, but my cluster is not getting auto-terminated.

The cluster is Idle and there are no Spark jobs running on the Spark UI. Still I see my cluster is active and not getting terminated.

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • 0 kudos

Databricks cluster is treated as active if there are any spark or non-Spark operations running on the cluster. Even though there are no Spark jobs running on the cluster, it's possible to have some driver-specific application code running marking th...

• 0 kudos
User16869510359
by Esteemed Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • 0 kudos

Disclaimer: This code snippet uses an internal API. It's not recommended to use internal API's in your application as they are subject to change or discontinuity. %python import requests API_URL = dbutils.notebook.entry_point.getDbutils().notebook(...

• 0 kudos
User16869510359
by Esteemed Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

Resolved! Why do I see my job marked as failed on the Databricks Jobs UI, even though it completed the operations in the application

I have a jar job running migrated from EMR to Databricks. The job runs as expected and completes all the operations in the application. However the job run is marked as failed on the Databricks Jobs UI.

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • 0 kudos

Usage of spark.stop(), sc.stop() , System.exit() in your application can cause this behavior. Databricks manages the context shutdown on its own. Forcefully closing it can cause this abrupt behavior.

• 0 kudos
User16869510359
by Esteemed Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 2 kudos

Few things you should not do in Databricks!

Few things you should not do in Databricks!

• 1 replies
  • 2 kudos
Latest Reply
User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • 2 kudos

Compared to OSS Spark, these are few things the users don't have to worry about when running the same job on Databricks. Memory management: Databricks use an internal formula to allocate the Driver and executor heap based on the size of the instance....

• 2 kudos
User16869510359
by Esteemed Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • 0 kudos

Although not a hard limit, it's recommended to keep the number of cells in the notebook less than 100 for better UI experience as well as code readability. Having a really large block of code in a cell defeats the purpose of notebook execution and al...

• 0 kudos
User16869510359
by Esteemed Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • 0 kudos

Yes, it's possible to download files from DBFS. To download the filesFiles stored in /FileStore are accessible in your web browser at https://<databricks-instance-name>.cloud.databricks.com/files/. For example, the file you stored in /FileStore/my-da...

• 0 kudos
User16783853501
by New Contributor II
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos

What is the best way to convert a very large parquet table to delta ? possibly without downtime!

What is the best way to convert a very large parquet table to delta ? possibly without downtime! 

• 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • 0 kudos

I vouch for Sajith's answer. The main advantage with "CONVERT TO DELTA" is that operations are metadata centric which means we are not reading the full data for the conversion. For any other file format conversion, it's necessary to read the data com...

• 0 kudos
1 More Replies
User16869510359
by Esteemed Contributor
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos

Why should I move to Auto-loader?

I have a streaming workload using the S3-SQS Connector. The streaming job is running fine within the SLA. Should I migrate my job to use the auto-loader? If Yes, what are the benefits? who should migrate and who should not?

• 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • 0 kudos

That makes sense @Anand Ladda​ ! One major improvement that will have a direct impact on the performance is the architectural difference. S3-SQS uses an internal implementation of the Delta table to store the checkpoint details about the source files...

• 0 kudos
1 More Replies
User16783853501
by New Contributor II
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos

best practice for optimizedWrites and Optimize

What is the best practice for a delta pipeline with very high throughput to avoid small files problem and also reduce the need for external OPTIMIZE frequently?  

• 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • 0 kudos

The general practice in use is to enable only optimize writes and disable auto-compaction. This is because the optimize writes will introduce an extra shuffle step which will increase the latency of the write operation. In addition to that, the auto-...

• 0 kudos
2 More Replies
aladda
by Honored Contributor II
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
aladda
Honored Contributor II
  • 0 kudos

Stats collected on a Delta column are either using for Partitioning Pruning, Data Skipping. See here - https://docs.databricks.com/delta/optimizations/file-mgmt.html#delta-data-skipping for detailsIn additional stats are also used for Metadata only q...

• 0 kudos
aladda
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos

What are the recommendations around collecting stats on long strings in a Delta Table

It is best to avoid collecting stats on long strings. You typically want to collect stats on column that are used in filter, where clauses, joins and on which you tend to performance aggregations - typically numerical valuesYou can avoid collecting s...

• 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
User16783853501
by New Contributor II
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos

Delta Optimistic Transactions Resolution and Exceptions

What is the best way to deal with concurrent exceptions in Delta when you have multiple writers on the same delta table ?

• 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
sajith_appukutt
Honored Contributor II
  • 0 kudos

While you can try-catch-retry , it would be expensive to retry as the underlying table snapshot would have changed. So the best approach is to avoid conflicts using partitioning and disjoint command conditions as much as possible.

• 0 kudos
1 More Replies
aladda
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
aladda
Honored Contributor II
  • 0 kudos

by default a delta table has stats collected on the first 32 columns. This setting can be configured using the following.set spark.databricks.delta.properties.defaults.dataSkippingNumIndexedCols = 3However there's a time trade-off to having a large n...

• 0 kudos
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors