Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Posts

User16826994223
by Honored Contributor III
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos

How does Delta Sharing work?Delta Sharing is a simple REST protocol that securely shares access to part of a cloud dataset. It leverages modern cloud ...

How does Delta Sharing work?Delta Sharing is a simple REST protocol that securely shares access to part of a cloud dataset. It leverages modern cloud storage systems, such as S3, ADLS or GCS, to reliably transfer large datasets. There are two parties...

blog-delta-sharing-under-the-hood
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
User16790091296
by Contributor II
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
User16826994223
Honored Contributor III
  • 0 kudos

Generally it is limited by cloud provider, initially yo get around 350 cores that can be increased by request to cloud vendor, Till now I have seen 1000 cores and it can go much moreIn addition to subscription limits, the total capacity of cluster...

• 0 kudos
1 More Replies
User16826992666
by Valued Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
sajith_appukutt
Honored Contributor II
  • 0 kudos

Shallow clone: only duplicates the metadata of the table being cloned; the data files of the table itself are not copied. These clones are cheaper to create but are  not self-contained and depend on the source from which they were cloned as the sourc...

• 0 kudos
User16826992666
by Valued Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

Resolved! If I create a shallow clone of a Delta table, then add data to the clone, where is that data stored?

Since a shallow clone only copies the metadata of the original table, I'm wondering where new data would end up. Is it even possible to add data to a shallow clone? Is the data written back to the original source file location?

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
sajith_appukutt
Honored Contributor II
  • 0 kudos

Shallow Clones are really useful for short-lived use cases such as testing and experimentation . It duplicates the metadata from the source table - and any new data added would go to the location specified while creating the shallow table. >Is the da...

• 0 kudos
User16826992666
by Valued Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

Resolved! Can I upload an Excel file to create a table in a workspace?

On the Data tab in the workspace I have the "Create Table" button which gives me the option to upload a local file as a data source. Can I upload an Excel file here? Not sure what kind of files work for this.

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
sajith_appukutt
Honored Contributor II
  • 0 kudos

Currently the file types supported there are CSV, JSON and Avro. You could, however upload the excel file to the dbfs path under FileStore and write code in a notebook to parse it and persist it to a table

• 0 kudos
User16826992666
by Valued Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

Resolved! If I create a clone of a Delta table, does it stay in sync with the original table?

Basically wondering what happens to the clone when updates are made to the original Delta table. Will the changes apply to the cloned table as well?

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
sajith_appukutt
Honored Contributor II
  • 0 kudos

The clone is not a replica and so updates made to the original delta table wouldn't be applies to the clone. However, shallow clones reference data files in the source directory. If you run vacuum on the source table, clients will no longer be able t...

• 0 kudos
User16826992666
by Valued Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

Resolved! I know my partitions are skewed, is there anything I can do to help my performance?

I know the skew in my dataset has the potential to cause issues with my job performance, so just wondering if there is anything I can do to help my performance other than repartitioning the whole dataset.

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
sajith_appukutt
Honored Contributor II
  • 0 kudos

For scenarios like this, it is recommend to use a cluster with Databricks Runtime 7.3 LTS or above where AQE is enabled. AQE dynamically handles skew in sort merge join and shuffle hash join by splitting (and replicating if needed) skewed tasks into ...

• 0 kudos
User16826992666
by Valued Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

Resolved! Do I still need to use skew join hints if I have Adaptive Query Execution enabled?

From what I have read about AQE it seems to do a lot of what skew join hints did automatically. So should I still be using skew hints in my queries? Is there harm in using them?

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
sajith_appukutt
Honored Contributor II
  • 0 kudos

With AQE Databricks  has the most up-to-date accurate statistics at the end of a query stage and can opt for a better physical strategy and or do optimizations that used to require hints,In the case of skew join hints, is recommended to rely on AQE...

• 0 kudos
User15787040559
by New Contributor III
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
sajith_appukutt
Honored Contributor II
  • 0 kudos

In addition to subscription limits, the total capacity of clusters in each workspace is a function of the masks used for the workspace's enclosing Vnet and the pair of subnets associated with each cluster in the workspace. The masks can be changed if...

• 0 kudos
User16826992666
by Valued Contributor
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos

Resolved! Can multiple streams write to a Delta table at the same time?

Wondering if there any dangers to doing this, and if it's a best practice. I'm concerned there could be conflicts but I'm not sure how Delta would handle it.

• 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
sajith_appukutt
Honored Contributor II
  • 0 kudos

>Can multiple streams write to a Delta table at the same time?Yes delta uses optimistic concurrency control and configurable isolation levels>I'm concerned there could be conflicts but I'm not sure how Delta would handle it.Write operations can resul...

• 0 kudos
1 More Replies
User16790091296
by Contributor II
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

What’s the best instance type to run OPTIMIZE (bin-packing and Z-Ordering) on?

I've been doing some research on optimizing data storage while implementing delta, however, I'm not sure which instance type would be best for this.

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
sajith_appukutt
Honored Contributor II
  • 0 kudos

OPTIMIZE as you alluded has two operations , Bin-packing and multi-dimensional clustering ( zorder)Bin-packing optimization is idempotent, meaning that if it is run twice on the same dataset, the second run has no effectZ-Ordering is not idempotent b...

• 0 kudos
User16826994223
by Honored Contributor III
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos

What is Autolader in Databricks?

Want to Know what is Autoloader and what are its advantages

• 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
MoJaMa
Valued Contributor II
  • 0 kudos

The biggest advantage is the ease with which you can star ingesting data from your Cloud Storage directly into a Delta Table. You can choose Directory Listing mode or File Notification mode, depending on what fits your use case best.

• 0 kudos
2 More Replies
MoJaMa
by Valued Contributor II
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
MoJaMa
Valued Contributor II
  • 0 kudos

Most possibly in future as we progress down our Roadmap.Currently it is per-workspace, and only accessible in Databricks notebooks/jobs.Please refer to our docs:https://docs.databricks.com/applications/machine-learning/feature-store.html#known-limita...

• 0 kudos
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors