Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Posts

User16790091296
by Contributor II
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

How to read a Databricks table via Databricks api in Python?

Using Python-3, I am trying to compare an Excel (xlsx) sheet to an identical spark table in Databricks. I want to avoid doing the compare in Databricks. So I am looking for a way to read the spark table via the Databricks api. Is this possible? How c...

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
sajith_appukutt
Honored Contributor II
  • 0 kudos

What is the format of the table - if It is delta, you could use the python bindings for the native Rust API and read the table from your python code and compare bypassing the metastore.

• 0 kudos
User16869510359
by Esteemed Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • 0 kudos

One solution is to get the runId,jobId details using notebook context in child notebook and return these values using dbutils.notebook.exit to parent notebook.%scala val jobId = dbutils.notebook.getContext.tags("jobId").toString() val runId = dbutils...

• 0 kudos
User16869510359
by Esteemed Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

Resolved! Scheduled job did not trigger the job run

I have a job that is scheduled to run every one hour. But rarely I see the job runs are skipped

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • 0 kudos

If you choose a timezone with Daylight savings this issue can happen. We recommend choosing UTC timezone to avoid this issue. If you select a zone that observes daylight saving time, an hourly job will be skipped or may appear to not fire for an hour...

• 0 kudos
User16783854657
by New Contributor III
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos

What is the difference between OPTIMIZE and Auto Optimize?

I see that Delta Lake has an OPTIMIZE command and also table properties for Auto Optimize. What are the differences between these and when should I use one over the other?

• 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • 0 kudos

From my Data+AI talk on Operating and Supporting Delta lake in production

• 0 kudos
1 More Replies
User16869510359
by Esteemed Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

Resolved! Unable to overwrite the schema of a Delta table

As per the docs, I can overwrite the schema of a Delta table using the "overWriteSchema" option. But i am unable to overwrite the schema for a Delta table.

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • 0 kudos

When Table ACLs are enabled, we can't change the schema of an operation through a write, which requires * MODIFY permissions, when schema changes require OWN permissions. Hence overwriting schema is not supported when Table ACL is enabled for the D...

• 0 kudos
User16869510359
by Esteemed Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • 0 kudos

The below code can be used to get the number of records in a Delta table without querying it%scala import com.databricks.sql.transaction.tahoe.DeltaLog import org.apache.hadoop.fs.Path import org.apache.spark.sql.DataFrame import org.apache.spark.sql...

• 0 kudos
User16869510359
by Esteemed Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 1 kudos

Resolved! Cluster logs missing

On the Databricks cluster UI, when I click on the Driver logs, sometimes I see historic logs and sometimes I see logs for the last few hours. Why do we see this inconsistency

• 1 replies
  • 1 kudos
Latest Reply
User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • 1 kudos

This is working per design! This is the expected behavior. When the cluster is in terminated state, the logs are serviced by the Spark History server hosted on the Databricks control plane. When the cluster is up and running the logs are serviced by ...

• 1 kudos
User16790091296
by Contributor II
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudos

Database within a Database in Databricks

Is it possible to have a folder or database with a database in Azure Databricks? I know you can use the "create database if not exists xxx" to get a database, but I want to have folders within that database where I can put tables.

• 2 replies
  • 1 kudos
Latest Reply
User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • 1 kudos

The default location of a database will be in the /user/hive/warehouse/<databasename.db>. Irrespective of the location of the database the tables in the database can have different locations and they can be specified at the time of creation. Databas...

• 1 kudos
1 More Replies
User16790091296
by Contributor II
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

How do we get logs on read queries from delta lake in Databricks?

I've tried with :df.write.mode("overwrite").format("com.databricks.spark.csv").option("header","true").csv(dstPath)anddf.write.format("csv").mode("overwrite").save(dstPath)but now I have 10 csv files but I need one file and name it.

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
Ryan_Chynoweth
Honored Contributor III
  • 0 kudos

The header question seems different than your body question. I am assuming that you are asking how to only get a single CSV file when writing? To do so you should use the coalesce:df.coalesce(1).write.format("csv").mode("overwrite").save(dstPath)This...

• 0 kudos
User16869510359
by Esteemed Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

Resolved! Is it recommended to turn on Spark speculative execution permanently

I had a job where the last step will get stuck forever. Turning on spark speculative execution did magic and resolved the issue. Is it safe to turn on Spark speculative execution permanently.

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • 0 kudos

It's not recommended to turn of Spark speculative execution permanently. For jobs where tasks are running slow or stuck because of transient network or storage issues, speculative execution can be very handy. However, it suppresses the actual problem...

• 0 kudos
User16790091296
by Contributor II
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

If possible, how can I update R Version on Azure Databricks?

Azure Databricks currently runs R version 3.4.4 (2018-03-15), which is unacceptable in my opinion since the latest R version on CRAN is 3.5.2 (2018-12-20).My question is: Is it possible for me to upgrade and install R version 3.5.2 on Azure Databrick...

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
User16752239289
Valued Contributor
  • 0 kudos

You can change the R version by following this document we have https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/databricks/kb/r/change-r-versionThe R version comes with each DBR (Databricks Runtime) can be find in the release note https://docs.microsoft.com/e...

• 0 kudos
User16869510359
by Esteemed Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor
  • 0 kudos

It's the use case that decides the use of Shallow clone or DEEP Clone Data is physically copied to the clone table in the case of a Deep clone. A deep clone is very useful to copy the data and have a backup of the data in another region/env. The typ...

• 0 kudos
User16790091296
by Contributor II
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos

SAS Files in Databricks (Stack Overflow)

I am trying to convert SAS files to CSV in Azure Databricks. SAS files are in Azure Blob. I am successfully able to mount the azure blob in Databricks, but when I read from it, it has no files even though there are files on Blob. Has anyone done this...

• 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors