cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Posts

deng77
by New Contributor III
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos

Resolved! Using current_timestamp as a default value in a delta table

I want to add a column to an existing delta table with a timestamp for when the data was inserted. I know I can do this by including current_timestamp with my SQL statement that inserts into the table. Is it possible to add a column to an existing de...

• 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
Latest Reply
Vaibhav1000
New Contributor II
  • 2 kudos

Can you please provide information on the additional expenses related to using this feature compared to not utilizing it at all?

• 2 kudos
10 More Replies
ClaudeR
by New Contributor III
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudos

Resolved! Can someone help me understand how compute pricing works.

Im looking at using Databricks internally for some Data Science projects. I am however very confused to how the pricing works and would like to obviously avoid high spending right now. Internal documentation and within Databricks All-Purpose Compute...

• 5 replies
  • 1 kudos
Latest Reply
GuillermoM
Visitor
  • 1 kudos

Hello,I was able to get a very precise cost of Azure Databricks Clusters and Computers jobs, using the Microsoft API and Databricks APIThen I wrote a simple tool to extract and manipulate the API results and generate detailed cost reports that can be...

• 1 kudos
4 More Replies
Pragati_17
by New Contributor II
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudos

Setting Date Range Picker to some default date

I have a date range picker filter in Databricks Lakeview Dashboard, so when i open dashboard there is no date selected and i want to set a default date. Is that possible with lakeview dashboard filters?

Data Engineering
databricks lakeview dashboard
date range pciker filter
default date set
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudos
Latest Reply
miranda_luna_db
Contributor II
  • 1 kudos

Hi there - We're working on default filter values actively and that will help here. For now, when you change filter values you'll notice the URL changes. You can always bookmark the URL or share that modified one with other and when they open it, t...

• 1 kudos
2 More Replies
Gutek
by New Contributor II
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudos

Resolved! How to import a Lakeview Dashboard programmatically (API or CLI)?

I'm trying to import a Lakeview Dashboard that I've originally exported through the CLI (version 0.213.0). The exported file has extension .lvdash.json and is a single line json file.I can't get it to work, I tried this command: databricks workspace ...

• 4 replies
  • 1 kudos
Latest Reply
miranda_luna_db
Contributor II
  • 1 kudos

Glad you've got everything up and running!

• 1 kudos
3 More Replies
Akshith_Rajesh
by New Contributor III
  • 5 replies
  • 5 kudos

Resolved! Call a Stored Procedure in Azure Synapse with input and output Params

driver_manager = spark._sc._gateway.jvm.java.sql.DriverManager connection = driver_manager.getConnection(mssql_url, mssql_user, mssql_pass) connection.prepareCall("EXEC sys.sp_tables").execute() connection.close()The above code works fine but however...

• 5 replies
  • 5 kudos
Latest Reply
judyy
New Contributor III
  • 5 kudos

This blog helped me with the output of the stored procedure: https://medium.com/@judy3.yang/how-to-run-sql-procedure-in-databricks-notebook-e28023555565

• 5 kudos
4 More Replies
vk217
by Contributor
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudos

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pyspark.dbutils'

I have a class in a python file like this from pyspark.sql import SparkSession from pyspark.dbutils import DBUtils class DatabricksUtils: def __init__(self‌‌): self.spark = SparkSession.getActiveSession() self.dbutils = DBUtil...

• 3 replies
  • 1 kudos
Latest Reply
Jarkrung
New Contributor
  • 1 kudos

Hi, we are also in the same exact situation. Were you able to solve the problem? Or a workaround maybe.

• 1 kudos
2 More Replies
EdemSeitkh
by New Contributor III
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos

Resolved! Pass catalog/schema/table name as a parameter to sql task

Hi, i am trying to pass catalog name as a parameter into query for sql task, and it pastes it with single quotes, which results in error. Is there a way to pass raw value or other possible workarounds? query:INSERT INTO {{ catalog }}.pas.product_snap...

• 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
lathaniel
New Contributor III
  • 0 kudos

@EdemSeitkh  can you elaborate on your workaround? Curious how you were able to implement an enum paramter in DBSQL.I'm running into this same issue now.

• 0 kudos
4 More Replies
amelia1
by New Contributor II
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

pyspark read data using jdbc url returns column names only

Hello,I have a remote azure sql warehouse serverless instance that I can access using databricks-sql-connector. I can read/write/update tables no problem.But, I'm also trying to read/write/update tables using local pyspark + jdbc drivers. But when I ...

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
anardinelli
New Contributor II
  • 0 kudos

Hi @amelia1 how are you? What you got was indeed the top 5 rows (see that it was the Row class). What does it show when you run display(df)? I'm thinking it might be something related to your schema, since you did not defined that, it can read the da...

• 0 kudos
RobinK
by New Contributor III
  • 12 replies
  • 11 kudos

Resolved! Databricks Jobs do not run on job compute but on shared compute

Hello,since last night none of our ETL jobs in Databricks are running anymore, although we have not made any code changes.The identical jobs (deployed with Databricks asset bundles) run on an all-purpose cluster, but fail on a job cluster. We have no...

• 12 replies
  • 11 kudos
Latest Reply
jcap
Visitor
  • 11 kudos

I do not believe this is solved, similar to a comment over here:https://community.databricks.com/t5/data-engineering/databrickssession-broken-for-15-1/td-p/70585We are also seeing this error in 14.3 LTS from a simple example:from pyspark.sql.function...

• 11 kudos
11 More Replies
TWib
by New Contributor III
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos

DatabricksSession broken for 15.1

This code fails with exception:[NOT_COLUMN_OR_STR] Argument `col` should be a Column or str, got Column.File <command-4420517954891674>, line 7 4 spark = DatabricksSession.builder.getOrCreate() 6 df = spark.read.table("samples.nyctaxi.trips") ---->...

• 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
Latest Reply
jcap
Visitor
  • 3 kudos

We are also seeing this error in 14.3 LTS from a simple example:from pyspark.sql.functions import coldf = spark.table('things')things = df.select(col('thing_id')).collect()[NOT_COLUMN_OR_STR] Argument `col` should be a Column or str, got Column.  

• 3 kudos
6 More Replies
shanebo425
by New Contributor II
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos

Saving Widgets to Git

We use Databricks widgets in our python notebooks to pass parameters in jobs but also for when we are running the notebooks manually (outside of a job context) for various reasons. We're a small team, but I've noticed that when I create a notebook an...

• 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors